Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, 23 March 2015

Eye to eye . . . prelude to fish pie by Callie

04:43:00


Nailing a heron nailing a large fish has been on my wish list for many years before this day. Lake Panic Bird Hide - about 05:10. There were already two other photographers there making use of the lovely light and hopeful for some nice sightings. We waited and waited. The fish-eagle had something against the GH and chased him twice during the week that we visited. 2.5 hours came and went with a few abortive strikes by the GH. I decided to walk over to the right side of the hide – there were some Jacanas. I have scarcely left, when my wife came running – the GH caught a fish!. Well, 3 seconds flat and I was back at my seat, with a very schmuck looking GH and no fish – that one went the way of no return too fast to even see. Someone who came in 3 minute earlier got the sequence. I was hopping mad at myself – We waited 2,5 h, she came in, sat down and nailed the catch! Another 1,5 hours went pass and then he was ready to strike again. I quickly swapped to the 200-400 as I wanted to catch the whole scene – the 600 + 1.4 TC allowed better headshots. He was ready, aimed, and struck! Missed! But as he surfaced, he turned on a dime and struck again! Gold, should I say – fish! I have the whole sequence, but with the slow D800. He then proceeded to get onto the log. I quickly swapped cameras and got >70 images with him and the fish – that was before the fish disappeared down his gullet! I even got the toss with the fish in the air . As he stepped onto the log, I think he missed his step or something – I was looking through the viewfinder and just saw his crest came up – it stayed like that the whole sequence. Total waiting time - ±9h50 min! Goliath Heron, Ardea goliath, Reusereier, Lake Panic, Kruger NP ~ D4 7245W



from 500px http://ift.tt/1MXPeBX

via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer